Monday, March 20, 2006

Thievery in the Land of Plenty


People do know "MTA (The Man Who Never Returned)"! Albeit, those who do represent about 1/1000th of the subway-going population, but still....that's one or two people everyday that are so totally on my side that I'm pretty sure I can count on them when the great war breaks out between me and the creepy violin player that hovered over my spot tonight in anticipation of inheriting it. (To catch you up, "MTA" is a comedic folk song the Kingston Trio and others have recorded that I've loved since days of kiddiness, but haven't found much success with in the busking world).

Busted out a new tune called "Woodgrain Love Song" tonight, and some little kids seemed to enjoy the feelgood, uptempo groove of it. Then again, I'm pretty white, so I'm not sure how much of a groove there is in any of my music. But it was a good time.

I love it when I thank someone for their donation, and they say, "no, thank you!" That's way nicer than most New Yorkers are often reckoned to be.

A man who looked like Albert Einstein combined with Doc Brown from Back to the Future scurried up to me tonight inbetween songs and asked, "do you like Bob Dylan?" I replied that I did, and he rapidly informed me that he's a composer who recently wrote a piece in which he distinctly heard Bob Dylan's "voice." I guess I understood what he meant, but I was so entertained by his peculiar energy that I wasn't trying very hard to do anything but watch him.

Also played the Beatles (George Harrison) song "Something" for the first time today, and it went over rather well. One guy even applauded!

Saving up for a concertina...wouldn't you like to know why?

No comments: