Saturday, March 11, 2006

and the mome raths outgrabe...


The sun came out today. Noting the rarity of this phenomenon, I decided that more people than usual would be out and about, traveling to Central Park or whatnot, and that these conditions might make an ideal setting for a busker such as myself.

It's weird, but this is the first time since starting busking that I've actually needed the money. Before it was all about the music, the art, etc....now I just need cash! It's not like I'm at the end of my rope, but I'm trying to save up as much as I can right now so I can afford a place of my own for recording purposes (I sleep in my friends' living room right now).

"MTA" actually got some donations this time around (albeit, from older folks who seemed to have heard of the song). I also spotted someone who I believe to be a friend from NC, but she didn't respond when I called out her name. As a busker, I should've felt pretty confident about shouting out something like that, but for some reason it was pretty awkward. I guess I was trying to maintain some semblance of professionalism or something.

Around the time I was planning on terminating my session, a subway car pulled up, and as the doors opened right in front of me, my friend Christian popped out. "Deus ex machina!" we both cried, our voices ringing like so many Hershey Kiss Bells from that holiday commercial. He snapped a few photos of me on his digicam, and SWOOSH! We were off to make like Sheryl Crow's sellout song.

No comments: