Sunday, March 12, 2006

It's the singers, not the songs.


I recently started taking improv class at the Magnet here in NYC. Improv's never really been my thing...I mean, I like it and all, but I used to go a little too crazy with it in high school, and several injuries have resulted...okay, not really. But suffice it to say that I need a lot of work. Anyway, class so far has been pretty swell, and I met a girl named Cat who expressed some interest in joining me for a busking expedition (plus, she's from NC like me, which is pretty radical).

I guess I wasn't sure what to expect from being a duo. We'd never sung together before (although I did hear her warming up the other day before improv class, and she's got some killer pipes. Aaaaaand her voice is good, too.), and I wasn't sure if we'd know any of the same songs, or what exactly the setup would be for our carousing and cavorting.

It actually went really well. Cat's voice is really versatile; she was able to do some Emmylou Harris-esque background vocals on a couple songs, we both looked over some belty Kelly Clarkson sheet music while playing (I was impressed...her songs aren't as bad as you might think), and Cat wrote out the chord progressions for a few other songs she knew as well. She's also a pro at transposing music apparently, which I was simultaneously impressed and intimidated by (I don't know a whole lot about music theory). But, all in all, we had an awesome time.

There's talk of more adventures like this one....so keep your eyes peeled! For just when you've let your guard down...the (UNNAMED DUO) shall smite you with batallions of musical spears and rhythmic howitzers! Rest while you can.

No comments: