Friday, February 24, 2006

Beasts of Bourbon


After ten or so days and six or so songs in California, I have returned to New York. The weather was disappointingly cold, but seeing friends and family was saucesome, and I'm pretty excited about a couple of the new songs that I have. Traveling out west gave me a sort of Manifest Destiny, Woody Guthrie sensation -- if that makes any sense -- and sparked some tunes in that style. We'll see what comes of them.

My first night back was weird...I think my head is still in California, eating sunbeams or something. I tried out two new songs, one of which is still going to take a lot of practice. I think people can sense when I'm playing a song that I feel isn't quite ready yet. I thought busking would be a good toolshed for shaping up new material, but sometimes I feel too awkward to try out the fresh ones. I dunno. Anyway, two guys were complimentary of my song "Emmylou" tonight, which dispelled some of my insecurities in performing that one. They wished me good night and good luck, like the great Edward R. Murrow.

I'm a big fan of kids asking their parents if they can have money to put in my guitar case...it's wonderful to see children enjoying music at an early age, as well as acknowledging the music maker!

Boston may be housing me once more, this time just for the weekend (my first time back since living in NYC...which hasn't really been that long), and I may test out the T for buskability (they require permits in Boston, but I've never had problems).

No comments: