Monday, January 23, 2006

Water Moccasin


I only learned one new song for tonight, the Beatles "For No One" (which I actually used to know way back when). I have plans for almost every night this week, so I busked somewhat abruptly tonight knowing it would be a while until I could do it again. Although I got to my pitch at 49th St pretty late (around 7:00), I still made decent money -- and I got two five dollar bills! Yowza. One couple gave me six bucks -- I was flabbergasted. I guess my salivary glands were overeacting tonight; one of my harmonicas was waterlogged by the end of the night. Luckily, the reeds seem to be okay, which is fortunate since I don't know the first thing about replacing them. Speaking of which I've been kicking around the idea of getting another harp...I've got one in G and one in C. I've got a lot of songs in A, so that might be a contender for purchase. I also cannot get concertinas out of my head! I want one so bad, but they're surprisingly pricey (like many musical instruments, it's not necessarily a good start to buy a bottom-of-the-barrel model).

Been listening to Neil Young like crazy. Especially his golden era (no pun intended) like After the Goldrush, Harvest, and Comes a Time. Such beautiful music. It makes me want to be a lone vagabond traversing the wild west. Will the time ever come for such things?

Last night I got entranced with Desmond Ivey's biography. He built his first guitar from plywood and fashioned guitar picks from plastic bottles. Years later, when he finally examined a professionally-made guitar, he discovered his fretting format was absolutely perfect! What an amazing guy. He's studied all over the world. Yet he plays in subways! Don't get me wrong -- I love that! It proves that even for the most talented musicians, sometimes the most important part of your life is the MUSIC, not the money you make playing it.

Anyhow, I started working on a new song last night using Desmond's story as a starting point...we'll see what happens. I definitely want to have some new songs when I go out again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, man.

Seriously. You need to join us. The Family. We're looking for fresh blood and you are it. Friday night. 11pm. 7th ave and Christopher. The Duplex. Upstairs. I'm buying you a shot.

Cheers!
-Greg