Friday, January 20, 2006

It was!


I had an awesome time tonight playing for the fine folks at 59th St. Part of the trick would seem to be getting to a pitch in time for the "HOUR-in-which-everyone-RUSHes-home-and-leaves-work". Crazy time, I think it's called. Anyway, I left work an hour early today (boss is out-of-town) so's I could snag a choice spot.

There was a near-disaster, though. Some busker who specialized in banging on tubs and pots (something I usually admire) took up residence on the other side of the tracks. And it wasn't the sort of thing where we both arrived at the same time or close enough to inspire some debate. I'd definitely been dropping Neil Young songs for an hour when he showed up. Normally I'd be all up for a duel, but seeing as my acoustic guitar can't be amplified, and he was a drummer, I doubt I would have emerged victorious. Luckily, a cop told him to can it (heh heh), I suppose because the noise was drowning out the loudspeaker announcements.

Around this time I ran into an old acquaintance from Emerson College (I graduated in May) named Jessie. It was good to see her, although I admittedly never knew her too well...due in part to a very nasty breakup I had with one of her friends. All the same, a friendly face is most welcome amongst this sea of strangers.

Some guy gave me a business card that read: "So and So, Erotic Photographs." I'm still trying to process that. So, do I look like someone who'd buy pictures like that from him? Or am I the type of person he's looking for to BE in pictures like that?! Either way, I got a laugh out of it (he wrapped the card up in a dollar....poor bashful guy). I've actually received a lot of business cards so far, all of varying purposes and origins. I've decided to tape them all up in my notebook to keep track of them; you never know when someone's contact info could come in handy. Or if I change my mind about posing....

On my way back downtown, I stopped by the A C E platform( I'd been on the 1 3) and heard an amazing classical guitarist. I can't even imagine playing guitar like that. This guy's fingers moved like coils that fed only on music. It was beautiful. But -- and once again, I'm reminded of how useful this site could one day become -- I can't remember his name! He had a headshot with his name tacked to his guitar case....Something Ivey. I don't remember. Blast and dash it all.

I've been playing the same 12-13 songs every time I've gone busking so far. A mix of originals, Weezer, Neil Young, Decemberists, Eels, Simon & Garfunkel, etc. But it's been getting a little boring as I usually need to do each song a couple of times over the course of two-three hours. So, I've made a new challenge for myself: each time I go out, I need to have three new covers ready to perform (adding to my repertoire...which is probably way too fancy a word for a busker to use) and one new original (which will keep me writing habitually; I was pretty productive writing-wise before moving to NYC, and I've just been out of practice for the last two weeks). Anyway, it seems like a pretty reasonable plan.

To Mr. Something Ivey: you were great.

No comments: