Sunday, December 09, 2007

Refolded Fox


I started thinking about the point of my new song, Folded Fox. The basic premise is people are made up of what they are, their experiences, their memories. And it's better to let those things have an effect on you, otherwise you're not made up of anything if you pretend the bad stuff never happened. Whether or not "that which does not kill me makes me stronger," it certainly does make me me.

After ruminating on this for a bit, I did some substantial rerecording of the song, most of which I'm rather happy with. Wanting to have an unpolished, semi-lo-fi sound to reflect the idea of an imperfect history, I ran one vocal track through my reel-to-reel, then recorded it into my computer, while still leaving the original vocal track the way it was. The goal was to make a present/past sound that merged into a mellow little pool of lyrics...who knows if it worked at all, but it was fun to make, and I'm enjoying listening to it.

Just like First Snow of the Year (which I think I talked about recently), I got a lot of new ideas for tiny guitar parts that thread in and out of the main progression, in a muffled spray.

All in all, I think it's a better song now. It's going to be really hard to not keep tweaking it forever, though. I usually don't do much with the songs I record; two, maybe three or four tracks. But every so often I'll start working on something and wind up opening Pandora's Music Box of endless (and likely needless) ideas.

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback. Here's the new Folded Fox.

No comments: