Sunday, November 04, 2007

Ghost


I wrote a song last night. It came out of nowhere, but I think it had been lurking around for a while, like some vapor that invisibly fills up the room, and all too late you realize someone's run a tube from an exhaust pipe straight into your unsuspecting home and lungs. Who knows why such a thing would happen. Let me have my analogies, damn it.

Yesterday was possibly one of the most stressful I'd had in a while, so I guess it was inevitable that I'd need bloodlet in song form. Funny how that kind of inspiration only leads to new material. I could've stood to finish about six or seven older songs that are now looking as insurmountable to me as my outstanding college loan balance. Ah well.

It's called "Hands and Knees," and I'm actually really happy with it. I spent an hour or so on it tonight, tweaking chord progression and the outro, and I think it's halfway decent. Like most spur-of-the-moment songs, the whole thing was written (lyrically) in about 15 minutes, with the music taking an extra 30 maybe, excluding my work tonight. Why can't all songs be that easy?

I've been working on this semi-epic, semi-free-association piece called "Insect Angel" for almost two months, and something's still not quite right. I think I need a writing partner. My lyrics feel like they're getting better most of the time, but my musical output hasn't grown up at all. I actually feel like I've regressed from the stuff I was working on for my album last year.

Feeling like I needed to record this stuff, and getting sick of my condenser mic drowning out my mixes with gross guitar, I made a whim purchase of a new mic set. One of the mics is actually made for instruments (gasp), so I'm hoping it'll make this stuff sound clearer. Well, sorta. If it sounds too good, I'll want to rerecord all my songs, which will be Sadsville. It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Not much busking lately, thanks to the MTA being a bunch of douches and killing off the local trains at night (or, as is the new weekend standard, all trains at my stop). Lord help me if I ever encounter an MTA employee in...a game of GoldenEye. He would get hurt.

I'll probably post "Hands and Knees" and "Insect Angel" sometime this week, soon's I get this new gear. Keep your eyes peeled if you're interested.

No comments: