Tuesday, November 28, 2006

One Poor Correspondent


Back from NC, and ready to make-a the mon-ey!!! Tonight was a pretty good outing, considering I was only busking for 2 hours. My sister and I are kinda obsessed with the America song "Sister Golden Hair," so I hastily learned it before leaping out into the wide world of free entertainment. If you don't know that song, you're seriously missing out....apparently the main riff was inspired by the one in George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" (an equally good song), but I can't hear it. It's total mudslinging on the part of some weirdo Wikipedia journalist who strangely has it in for one of the tamest 70s rock acts ever.

Tonight I got that super "on" feeling, like I didn't have to push or anything; I was just so happy to be performing and bringing music to people that I could just feel raw energy chortling through my veins. Yes, I know chortling means laughing. That's what it was doing.

I'm not the world's greatest guitar player, but I had a surprisingly decent solo on a cover I did of Eels' "Railroad Man" tonight. I'm not sure what it was....I played with Funk a bit over break, so I think that just got me in a jammy mood. Apparently, I got an elecxtric organ for my birthday over the summer, and completely forgot that I had it. When I came home the realization hit me like a ton of bricks and I basically didn't leave it for the first day of being home. My piano skills are far worse than those of any other instrument that I act like I can play, but Funk and I had a pretty decent jam session nonetheless. You gotta love a piano that can make its own reverb. Which is basically what an organ is.

Surprisingly, I miss home just as equally as I love being back in New York. They're like the most completely polar opposites, but I love them equally. Let's not even add Boston into this equation...But at the end of the day, I can't really busk very well at either of those choice locales, and since that's where the cash is coming from these days, New York will be just fine.

No comments: