Monday, July 17, 2006

Don't think twice, it's all right.


I guess I don't think of my music as being all that cinematic or underscore-y, but the world seems to think otherwise.


My friend Jeb asked me to work on a soundtrack for a short film he was doing back in March. I expressed a little reservation because I simply don't write a whole lot of instrumental tunes, and certainly know next to nothing about the finer points of film scoring. Ultimately I gave it a shot because he was doing a western, and being such an idolizer of a healthy chunk of that genre, I'd always wanted to write my own version of "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" theme. The end result turned out halfway decent. (It's on my myspace page as "The Ballad of Rusty Spurs.")


A few nights ago at 59th, after singing some Radiohead cover, a twenty-something girl approached me.


"Do you write original stuff?"


"Yeah, I do. Why do you ask?"


She produced a flyer from her bag. "Well, I'm doing a threater show right now, and I'd love to have you as our musician. We just need some haunting guitar music to serve as transitions and the like."


I was certainly flattered (she even offered to pay me), and politely "maybe'ed" the proposal. Could I really write 20 minutes' worth of music in less than a week for a threatre piece? Unlikely. But then again, I do tend toward the haunting side of things with a lot of my music, so there'd be a natural knack built in, and it'd be a good challenge for me anyway.


Then I woke up this morning and realized that neither of us had contacted the other.

No comments: